Wilhelm Weber House (OV4QR2)
Wilhelm Weber House
This town house with its golden globe was largely built in the 16th century and served as accommodation for university professors until the 19th century. Wilhelm Eduard Weber, a professor of physics at Göttingen University who invented the electromagnetic telegraph, and also one of the Göttingen Seven (protesters who refused to swear an oath to the King of Hanover), was born here in 1804.
The neo-classical façade dates back to alterations carried out after the building had been damaged in 1814 during the German Campaign against the French occupation. When it was refurbished in connection with IBA Urban Redevelopment Saxony-Anhalt 2010, a forum promoting contact between academia and society was created. Since 2014, the WZGE Wittenberg Centre for Global Ethics has been based here. Combining a scholarly approach with a global outlook, this non-profit think tank helps political leaders understand the ethical implications of their decisions. Supported by leading figures and organizations from politics, the private sector, civil society and churches, it initiates dialogue, holds seminars, and is involved in research and teaching.