Water supply system for Wittenberg/Wood Market fountain (S08QR2)
Water supply system for Wittenberg/Wood Market fountain
In 1556, seven wealthy residents of Wittenberg joined forces to build a water supply system. The Old Virgin Piped Water consisted of wooden pipes in which water flowed downhill from a spring 2.7 kilometres north-east of Wittenberg to the members’ wells. Three years later, a second system was built known as the New Virgin Piped Water. These technical monuments dating back to the 15th century are still in working order. They are maintained by a registered society (Gewerkschaft Altes und Neues Jungfernröhrwasser der Lutherstadt Wittenberg e.V.) and the local multi-utility (Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH).