Water supply system for Wittenberg/Fountain on the market square (S07QR2)
Water supply system for Wittenberg/Fountain on the market square
In 1556, wealthy residents of Wittenberg came together to set up a water supply system. It consisted of wooden pipes which delivered water from a spring 2.7 kilometres north-east of Wittenberg to the wells of the founder members. The technical monuments are still in working order. They are maintained by a registered society (Gewerkschaft Altes und Neues Jungfernröhrwasser der Lutherstadt Wittenberg e.V.) and the local multi-utility (Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH). The fountain on the market square was built in 1617. It was overhauled in 1724 and again from 1926 to 1928, and was subsequently repaired in 1948 and 1967. The fountain was completely renovated in 2017.