Swan Lake (O14QR2)
When defortification began in 1873, Swan Lake was created here. During the first phase of landscaping headed by Friedrich Karl Timotheus Eunike (1831–1892), the lake was surrounded by a simple footpath – and also attracted the first pair of swans. Eunike’s successor Paul Leonhardt (1852–1927), who is commemorated by a plaque on the west bank of Swan Lake, added several striking features to the ensemble, such as the elaborate steps with a pergola as well as seats and viewing points.
Sadly, swans no longer live on the lake. A transformer station built on the south-west corner of the lake in 1919–21 and concealed by artistic architecture was demolished in 1968. However, one building still remains which refers back to the Ramparts’ erstwhile military function, for the Pferdestall (‘Stable’) youth club was once used to house wagons when it was part of the Danish Bastion.