St Mary’s Catholic Church (S12QR2)
St Mary’s Catholic Church
In 1868, the foundations were laid for today’s church building, which was completed in 1872. St Mary’s Church is a typical example of Gothic Revival architecture in Saxony-Anhalt. It was built in response to the increased influx of Catholics in the 19th century, mostly members of the Prussian military. Previously, there had long been no separate Catholic community due to the Reformation.
St Mary’s Church acquired its present form in the year 2000 when the church was refurbished and the side aisle added. Following the demolition of the old parsonage on Bürgermeisterstrasse, the church is now also accessible from this side. These days, there are some 2,000 Catholics in Wittenberg.