Soviet Cemetery of Honour (S16QR2)
Soviet Cemetery of Honour
After the Second World War, a graveyard for fallen soldiers from the Red Army and their relatives was laid out at the location of the old officers’ mess garden on the former Tauentzien Bastion. In 1945, it numbered 168 graves. The cemetery was expanded between 1946 and 1950. Several reinterments took place, and prisoners of war and forced labourers were buried here. By 1973, it contained collective and individual graves for 938 people. Although a Liberation Monument was erected here comprising steps and a Soviet T-34 tank mounted on a plinth, the tank was removed in 1990, followed by the plinth.