Perennial Garden (O20QR2)
In 1875, Friedrich Karl Timotheus Eunike (1831–1892) began applying principles of landscape gardening to create romantic scenery on the glacis and adjacent areas including streams, footpaths, bridges, arbours and grottoes. Two years after his death, a monument was erected here in gratitude for Eunike’s dedication. And 2001, the area was renamed Eunike Park by the town council. Eunike’s work was continued by his successor, Paul Leonhardt (1852–1927), who added elements such as a botanical garden (now the Perennial Garden).
The continuing transformation from protective barrier to green belt is documented by features from various eras. The casemate of Dobschütz Bastion (now the aquarium) was once part of the fortifications. Casinoberg (‘Mess Hill’) reveals the outline of the erstwhile Tauentzien Bastion. Stone monuments dating back to the park’s beginnings include the Defortification Stone and the Battery Stone. And a modern dimension is added by sculptures made in 1993.