Old Latin School
The Reformation brought with it a new school, constructed in the years 1564–1567. This was a joint project of the Elector August of Saxony, the university, council and prosperous citizenry. Together they supported the goals of Philipp Melanchthon and Dr. Martin Luther of a symbiosis between faith and education.
1827/28 this school was renovated, expanded and re-opened as “Gymnasium”. (See inscription) Former students were Paul Luther, personal physician of the Saxon elector; Wilhelm Weber, physicist and co-inventor of the first electromagnetic telegraph; Johann G. Galle, astronomer and discoverer of the planet Neptune etc.
In 1888, a new, larger and renamed “Melanchthon Gymnasium” opened and the Old Latin School was put up for sale. The new owners used it as printing press and subsequently as textile factory. Finally, in 2006, the International Lutheran Society of Wittenberg was founded to house a Lutheran center for international studies and cooperation in the Old Latin School, which opened up its doors in 2015. Its members are the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, the Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church and the International Lutheran Council.