Museum in Zeughaus (‘The Armoury’) | Municipal Collections (OV2QR2)
Museum in Zeughaus (‘The Armoury’) | Municipal Collections
Zeughaus (‘The Armoury’) was built on Arsenalplatz in 1855 as part of the barracks covering the entire area. It was used to house artillery carriages. After the First World War, when Wittenberg was no longer a garrison town, the building was converted for civilian use. In the 1920s, it contained shops selling cars, motorcycles, bicycles and colonial goods as well as a watchmaker and an optician.
From 1945 to 1992, the building was reused for military purposes when the Soviet army maintained a barracks on Arsenalplatz. It was later refurbished to house the Municipal Collections in connection with IBA Urban Redevelopment Saxony-Anhalt, a regional construction exhibition held in 2010. The building has been used ever since to display Wittenberg’s chequered history.