Elster Gate (S03QR2)
In the Middle Ages, Wittenberg’s town wall comprised ramparts, eleven towers and three gates, which were closed in the evening and opened every morning. In 1332, local records listed 72 citizens who had been appointed to the wall guard. Elster Gate, which was situated in the east of the town, was previously known as Cross Gate. Outside it, a settlement developed along the trade route from Dresden which became known as the Elster Suburb. There were also gardens here belonging to wealthy residents (including the Luther family). Elster Tower was occasionally used to store gunpowder. Over the centuries, the fortifications around Elster Gate were repeatedly extended.