Elbe Gate (S02QR2)
Elbe Gate, one of the three gates in Wittenberg’s medieval fortifications first recorded in 1332, was located in the south of the town. The gatehouse with a vaulted passage was flanked by a reinforced round tower with a conical roof. At times, the building was used to house artillery and prisoners, earning it the nickname ‘Dragonhead’. The town gates were locked every night to the sound of a tolling bell. A key to Elbe Gate has been preserved in the Council Archive. In order to reach Wittenberg, merchants and other travellers had to cross the Elbe by ferry, and for a short period in the early-15th century by means of a bridge. Elbe Gate was demolished in 1879 in connection with the defortification of Wittenberg.