Castle Park (O19QR2)
In connection with the town’s defortification starting in 1873, first of all the town gates were demolished and roads built. The southern ramparts, which had previously obscured the view of the Elbe, were removed and the rubble was used to fill in the old moats. Initially, only the glacis and the area adjacent to what is now Elbstrasse were landscaped into parkland. Castle Meadow, which was still used as a military parade ground until 1919, was subsequently incorporated into the green belt. Andreasbreite was the final addition to the Ramparts. It was created in the mid-1930s when Hallesche Strasse was rerouted, eliminating some of the outdoor space on the former glacis, yet also opening up more parkland in the south. This brought the aim of a green belt surrounding the town one step closer to completion.