Castle Gate (S01QR2)
The 14th-century town wall, which began to be heavily fortified in 1526, contained a gate in the direct vicinity of the castle in west Wittenberg. Until defortification starting in 1873, all three town gates were closed at night and guarded. With Wittenberg being at the junction of two trade routes, the gate near the castle was also named after the road from Coswig, which ended there. Beyond the castle, the wall, the ramparts, moat and bastion was the oldest and biggest of Wittenberg’s suburbs. Originally called the Fishing Suburb, it was later renamed the Castle Suburb.