Castle Church Area (009QR2)
Castle Church Area
In 1489, construction work began on a Renaissance residence for the electors of Saxony to replace the old castle. However, the new Wittenberg Castle burned down in 1760 during the Seven Years War. In 1820, the once magnificent palace was given its present-day appearance when it was converted into Prussian barracks. Wittenberg Castle was completely refurbished and restored from 2013 to 2016.
Castle Church was built to the north of Wittenberg Castle. From 1507, it served as the University of Wittenberg’s church and as the last resting place for prominent scholars. In 1517, Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of Castle Church. He was also laid to rest there, as was Philipp Melanchthon. Castle Church was completely destroyed during the Seven Years War, too. Today’s neo-Gothic interior dates back to 1883–92 and was designed by Friedrich Adler, who was appointed by Crown Prince Frederick William to remodel Castle Church into a national memorial to the Reformation.
These days, the Castle Church Area is used by a variety of institutions. An information and conference centre has been built on the ground floor, and Wittenberg Castle and Castle Church are now connected by a new passageway. The upper storeys contain a research library devoted to the history of the Reformation. The Protestant Seminary has various study rooms on the top floor. In addition, the Christian Art Foundation is based in the castle, while the former administrative buildings are now home to a youth hostel.
The recently built south wing based on previous castle buildings closes off the central courtyard of the Castle Church Area. Named Christine Bourbeck House, the new building contains accommodation and community premises for curates and teaching staff at the Protestant Seminary.