The Augusteum is one of the only three preserved 16th-century college buildings in Germany and hence a listed structure of national importance. Part of Leucorea (the University of Wittenberg), it was built as an extension to Luther House in 1581/82 and named after its benefactor, Elector Augustus of Saxony.
The building housed the university library, the auditorium used for doctoral graduation ceremonies and lectures, and accommodation for scholarship holders. From 1736, it was also used to store a collection of anatomical specimens presented to the university by Elector Augustus III. After the merger of the University of Wittenberg and the University of Halle, the recently established Protestant Seminary moved into the Augusteum in 1817 and curates were trained there for nearly 200 years. Nowadays, this training takes place at the Wittenberg Castle ensemble. The Augusteum is now the central venue used by the Luther Memorials Foundation to stage exhibitions and also contains the valuable collections of Luther House.